Friday, September 19, 2008

L&P@CML Finding Feeds

Blogline's search tool works easily to find popular feeds. Topix.net and Technorati weren't much use, at least to me, because they kept finding search terms as key words in posts that were unrelated to my topic rather than finding feeds that were on the subject of interest. Sindicat8.com didn't open at all despite several tries--must be popular. Maybe they ought to look into the bandwidth situation. The above feed finder's breakdowns of feed by directory weren't much use--the directories weren't detailed enough to help me.

Okay, time for true confessions.

I found better information on blogs/feeds on SUBJECTS faster with a Google Search than any of the above (they were good for showing me popular blogs on general or broad areas of interest). And why use Bloglines at all when one can simply use the browser Reader feature to get the same information faster and easier? I found I could subscribe to reads much more quickly with the reader than with Bloglines. I can get the information without logging to any sites. With 100 million (or however many bloggers there are) out there, making the likelihood of anyone I don't know caring about my feed list EXTREMELY small, does the social networking aspect provided by Bloglines make it worth the extra time to sign up and to log in? I want my feed information now and fast and with as little fuss as possible, and browser readers give it to me more efficiently than Bloglines.

It was fun to investigate. I do like the ability to get to my feeds from any computer buy logging into bloglines, for tiems I might not have a laptop with me.

Michael

No comments: