Tuesday, November 11, 2008

L&P 23: The End (or is it the beginning?)

Learn & Play was a wonderful initiative; big props to all who organized it and fostered participation. I was please with how many of the items I had already tried or even used on a semi-regular basis (over half of them). I was dismayed at how little time I have to keep up with any of the trends. I have a Facebook page, for instance, that languishes, neglected. I had not logged into Fickr for over a year before this initiative made me go back--it wasn't easy to remember my account name and password. :-) I don't even answer gmail anymore. No doubt it is a matter of priorities: if I have an afternoon and the wind is blowing, however, there's no question to me that a day windsurfing is more important than a day web surfing, no matter how many social networking sites call. For me, this initiative was best for making me take the time to discover or re-discover. That said, I suspect I won't blog any more, now that the initiative is over. Why, when nobody reads what I write and my uninspired and hasty words merely sit as bits on some server somewhere? If I'm going to keep a private diary, it will remain private and is not (as in Wilde's joke) intended for publication.

Would I do another L&P initiative? Absolutely! It would make me find time to explore. Please don't do Twitter again. It makes me feel guilty for not taking time to follow it but without a portable device I simply don't have the time. The biggest complaint I've heard from staff, speaking of time, is that they simply don't have the time to keep up, given our branch's workload. We told them they could, encouraged them to, even alloted time in the schedule, but most felt a greater obligation to public service and made sure branch work was done. Commendable but not ideal for learning. Maybe it would be different had we been fully staffed.

Farewell, dear non-readers.

No comments: